On September 10th through September 14 members of the H-Desert Fly Fishers4Vets and members of the DAV Chapter 12 gathered together at the Convict Lake Resort for a week of fishing adventures and nightly dinners served family style where we sat around the table and shared each other’s conversation and camaraderie as we discussed each day’s activities. Listed below are some of the adventures the group participated in during our trip.
- Big Pine California “Glacier Lodge” fly casting class and on the water fly fishing instruction provided by guides Richard and Tom, from Sierra Bright Dot Guide Service. Thank you, Fred Rowe, Tom and Richard, for an amazing fly-fishing experience.
- The group had the opportunity to participate in “Tuesday Fly Fishing Talk” with Fred Rowe and members of his staff and the local community. This a well-publicized event Fred Rowe conducts each Tuesday at the Mahogany Meats & Deli in Bishop, CA. Great food and up to date fly fishing information and conversation.
- A trip to Mono counties “Hot Creek” our own John Aydelotte.
- Fun casual fishing trips around Convict Lake both on the shore and from a pontoon boat.
- The group even got in a couple of nice hikes to the earthquake fault at Devils Post Pile and around thew Convict Lake Loop.
- The trip was extremely education as classes were conducted each day and evening to include knot tying, entomology and most importantly the importance of conservation and the need to care for and preserve our environment and local fisheries across America.
- Educational trip to Laws Museum, Bishop California.
These trips would not be possible without the sponsorship of Convict Lake Resort who provides the amazing 34-person cabin and a pontoon boat for the week for our veterans. In itself this is a donation valued at thirteen thousand dollars. We can’t forget about our other sponsors and donors, Bryan Balarski, Allen Seymour and Rocky Pacini. On behalf of all of us here at the Hi-Desert Fly Fishers, Apple Valley, CA and DAV Chapter-12, San Bernardino, we thank you all for making these trips possible for our veterans.